These items are required by the State of Ohio, OHSAA and Miamisburg Board of Education to coach and or advise for the Miamisburg City School District. They must be completed and turned in before beginning coaching duties. If you think you have a completed PAP please check the state website to ensure your credential is not expired. If you have already taken the NFHS Courses you can verify completion by searching for your completed NFHS courses. See information from ODE on the Process.
COPIES OF ALL CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO ATHLETIC OFFICE or DOWNLOADED TO YOUR FINAL FORMS ACCOUNT!
1. BCI AND FBI BACKGROUND CHECK – (Required for PAP)
Make sure you have an up-to-date background check on file. If you are renewing, you can check the date of your last background check while completing the application or by looking up your record here. You can ask your district where its staff members start this process if you need to request a new or updated background check. Fingerprints can be done at Miamisburg Central Office with Heather Wright-call 866-3381 or email her at email@example.com if you have any questions or to set up an appointment. Central Office is located at 540 Park Avenue (corner of Park Ave. and S 6th St.) close to downtown Miamisburg and next to the Miamisburg Branch of the Dayton Metro Library. The entrance into the building is on S. 6th Street.
- Bring your photo ID.
- New to District (1st Time) BCI and FBI background check $47.25-Check made out to Miamisburg City Schools.
- If renewing for your PAP $25.25-FBI only (good for 5 years)
- If background check was not completed within the previous 12 months you will need a new one to apply for a Pupil Activity Permit.
2. NFHS FUNDAMENTALS OF COACHING COURSE – (Required for PAP)
All applicants are required to take this on-line course as a ONE-TIME fulfillment. Cost is $65.00 and offered on-line at www.nfhslearn.com. Please print and turn in certificate.
3. FIRST AID AND SAFETY TRAINING – (Required for PAP)
Fulfill this requirement through one of the four categories of options outlined below:
A. Ohio Department of Education-approved pupil activity program. Search for a program during a given time span by entering a beginning and ending date here. Miamisburg Coaches can get this for free through Kettering. Log on to http://ketteringhealth.org/sports-medicine/education/Coach-Education.cfm to register for upcoming classes use discount code khn2020 when registering.
B. Nationally approved programs
- Red Cross (First Aid Health and Safety for Coaches);
- American Sport Education Program (Sport First Aid);
- National Federation of State High School Associations (First Aid Health and Safety for Coaches). This course can be completed online via www.nfhslearn.com There is an a fee of $45 for the online course. This certification is valid for 3 years.
C. College or university courses
Courses must be completed within the past three years and be related to first aid or athletic training.
D. Medical licenses
The licenses MD, DO, DC, PA, RN, EMT and ATC fulfill the first aid training requirement.
Please print and turn in certificate – renewal required every 3 years.
4. CONCUSSION COURSE – (Required for PAP)
Complete one of the hour-long courses that are free if you follow directions on the Ohio Department of Health website. The online courses are each valid for three years. Other related resources are here.
- The National Federation of State High School Associations’ training program “Concussion in Sports – What you Need to Know”;
- National Alliance for Youth Sports Concussion Training;
- National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention program “Heads Up – Concussion in Youth Sports Online Training Program.”
Please print and turn in certificate – renewal required every 3 years.
5. CPR TRAINING – (Required for PAP)
A valid CPR certification card must be on file with the athletic office.
- The Athletic Department trainer through Kettering Sports Medicine will deliver regular CPR class at the high school for $17.
- You may also register for A CPR class at http://ketteringhealth.org/sports-medicine/education/Coach-Education.cfm Use discount code khn2019 when registering: The price of this class is $35 before discount.
Most certifications are valid for 2 years.
6. SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST TRAINING – (Required for PAP)
Each year, coaches must complete the SCA (Lindsay’s Law) training through the Ohio Department of Education’s Learning Management System (LMS). Access LMS through individual OH|ID account. On the LMS homepage at top right, select the Course Catalog. Then search for sudden cardiac arrest to find the course. After permit holders view the materials and pass a short test, they can earn their certificates of completion.
It is important to note that the NFHS version of Lindsay’s Law/SCA training is not recognized by the state of Ohio and will not fulfill this requirement.
GO – Application instructions
- Make sure you have a OH|ID account. If you are certain you do not have a OH|ID account, set one up following the instructions here.
- If you have an OH|ID account but do not remember the user name or password, click on the “Forgot Password” link on the OH|ID portal to reset your password. Please do not set up a second OH|ID account. If you need assistance, you may contact (877) 644-6338 or Profile.Help@education.ohio.gov.
- IRN – MIAMISBURG 044396
- Access your OH|ID account.
- Click Educator Licensure and Records (CORE).
- Complete the online application from your CORE Dashboard.
- See the CORE User Manual for complete instructions.
- PAP Permits are valid for 3, 4 or 5 years.
To drive a van transporting students or athletes you will need to complete the following requirements:
- A copy of driver’s license, Social Security number, and phone number must be submitted to transportation department.
- Drop off at 200 North Twelfth St.
- Fax to Transportation 937-865-5255
- scan and email to the following at Transportation: Mechael Reed firstname.lastname@example.org and Leah Woodard email@example.com
- BCI & FBI -both need to be current, see BCI and Background Check above.
- Physical-Pre-employment physical authorization form necessary. Please contact Transportation with a day and time that fits your schedule. Transportation will make the appointment and fax the form. Location: Excel Corporate Care, 4220 Grand Ave., Middletown, OH (513) 420-4700
- Van Packet-Consists of application, book, video, answer sheet, and test questions. Please pick up a packet at the Transportation Department. When completed contact us to set up a time for the driving test.
- Driving Test-Consists of a pre-trip of the van and a driving test. Will take approximately about 1 hour.
- In-Service- Requires 4 hours of in-service for anew van driver and 2 hours in-service annually. Mandatory online training through Miamisburg City Schools Human resource office will count for the required van in-service.
- When all training is completed transportation will submit application.
- An e-mail will be sent to Athletic Department confirming driver’s successful completion
- Contact Transportation with any questions (937) 866-1283